Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Drove 212 miles for a Insect

There are some things I hear about people doing that makes me just shake my head.  Well, for your entertainment I am providing one of those opportunities for you.  I just drove 212 miles for an insect.  Actually a queen bee to be exact.  As I wrote about in my last post, my West Hive is queenless, which is a really "bad thing" in beekeeping.  I spoke with Sheri at Long Lane Honey Bee Farm and decided to purchase one of their specially bred Queens to hopefully save my West Hive.  Long Lane is up near Danville, Illinois, and it is a little over 100 miles each way.  When I arrived I found David waiting for me, and he introduced me to my new queen, a Carniolan bee.  I have to admit I was a little sad that it wasn't an Italian (I've grown to really like the color of Italian bees) but from what I read, the Carniolans have a lot of good traits.  I arrived back home at 9pm, so Dawn and I plan to get up early and install the new Queen first thing in the morning.


Italian Bee


Carniolan Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment