Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve Update

Just a quick update on the bees.  Christmas Day I ran up to the farm briefly and took the time, since it was a nice day, to check on the bees.  Sadly, three hives were dead : Aaron's hive and both of the Gates Hives.  They had plenty of sugar available in the candy boards, but I think the sugar was just too far away for their ways.  I had made deeper candy boards so I could put more sugar in them, but I'm afraid that it back fired.  So, today I went up and cut off all the excess wood bringing the candy as close as possible to the frames.  I also removed a second hive box that was mostly empty and put on a reworked candy board.  I hope the rest of the hives survive winter!!!