Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Flip Flop Boxes

Tonight I went to the farm to feed the bees being I haven't been there since Monday morning.  I looked into the West hive with the intention of possibly rotating frames to get the bottom box filled up, but I decided to try something different.  I was reading earlier today about rotating boxes at different points in the season, so I decided to flip flop the boxes and move the bottom one up and the top one down.  Hopefully, since the bees like moving up they will move up and fill the empty frames from the bottom box.  Unfortunately, I ran out of smoke and really got the bees upset with me.  I know I crushed several bees because I couldn't get them out of the way when I went to rearrange the boxes.  During my initial inspection I found a couple new frames of capped brood, so it looks like several thousand more bees in the next few days.  Once I finally got the West hive back together, I decided not to mess with the east hive.  Without smoke I just wanted to leave them alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment