- Worker bees only have a lifespan of about 30-45 days, while healthy queens can live for years.
- Queens and workers are actually the same bee....the only difference is that queens are fed Royal Jelly throughout their development, while workers are only fed Royal Jelly for a few days.
- Workers have an undeveloped reproductive system, while queens have a developed reproductive system.
- Drones are male bees that develop from unfertilized eggs.
- Virgin Queens, when they emerge from their cocoon, will mate with around 20 drones on their mating flight.
- Drones serve no purpose for the hive except to mate with a virgin queen....kinda like some men I know....
- During her peak laying time, a queen can lay up to 1,500 eggs per day!
- During the winter months bees keep warm by clustering into a bee ball and vibrating to make heat. A bee ball will stay around 95 degrees throughout the winter.
- To make 1 pound of honey bees will travel approximately 55,000 miles collecting nectar.
- One 3-pound box of bees that I ordered yesterday will contain approximately 10,500 bees! What a way to get buzzed!
Thursday, March 11, 2010
The more I read about bees, the more amazed I am at these little insects. Below are some interesting tidbits I have learned about bees: