Sunday, June 5, 2011
Housekeeping in the Bee Yard
I stopped by the farm before a quick trip to Arcola and did a little housekeeping. I placed extra deep frames in some of the hives as a couple were getting conjested and I didn't need a swarm at this time. I also moved four of the newer hives onto a large hive stand that Dad made by adapting an old table he found. The Virgin Queen that I place in Hive #8 was still in the California Mini, but the bees were trying their best to free her. All in all, the hives are looking good. Yesterday, I also check on the newest batch of grafted queens in the Starter Hive and it looks like they are raising 6 or 7 of the ten I grafted. That starter hive is also busting with bees. It will make the start of 1 or 2 hives after this bunch of queens are capped off.