Search This Blog

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Challenges for 2014

Well, I checked on the bees last weekend, and I didn't like what I saw.  The losses this winter was pretty bad...apparently the long, hard cold took it's toll, and I only have 8 hives out of 23 that survived.  I am starting to removed dead hives from the yard and put them into storage to prevent wax moth infestation.  In addition, I have not received a single swarm call this Spring, and at our bee club meeting only 2 members caught swarms that were not from their own hives.  Apparent, the winter was even worse for the wild hives in the area.

So, 2014 is looking to be a recovery year for my apiary.  I plan to check for swarm cells in my hives tomorrow and hopefully split some hives.  We'll see how this week plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment