Monday, May 6, 2013
Baby Queens on the Way!
Last Wednesday, May 1st, I attempted to graft Queens with what I thoughts was poor success; however, today I discovered my efforts had some success! Grafting entails using a special tool to remove 1-day-old larva from a cell and transfer it into a special cell cup for the bees to finish off into a queen cell. You have to have good light to make this work, and both my flashlight and the sun were not cooperating. I attempted to graft about 6 cells and gave up. I had moved the queen to a nuc box with 3 frames from her hive, placed the grafts into the original hive and hoped for the best. Today when I checked on the hive I found one of my grafts took and is capped off, and I have multiple queen cells on 2-3 other frames! I plan to return on Wednesday or Thursday of this week and divide the hive into mating nucs. Sadly, the original Queen from that hive is on an apparent protest, because she has not layed a single egg since the move.